March 2014 – 1939 MG WA Saloon
The MG WA was only built in 1938/39 and production ceased with the Second World War. A total of 369 cars were produced of which 43 survive. In addition to the Saloon, Tourer and Tickford Drophead Coupe models were produced.
There are only two WA saloons currently on the road in the UK.
The car has been used extensively during this period, both in the UK and Europe, including trips to the south of France and over the St Gotthard Pass to Monza. On return from Monza, completed 479 miles in the day.
An interesting standard feature is the “dress guard” on the rear doors, which ensures milady’s clothes are not soiled when entering or leaving the car.
Click for more history >>
Engine 6 cylinder pushrod OHV engine – develops 100 BHP.
0 – 50 mph in 10.4 seconds. Top speed new in excess of 90 mph.
4 Speed Gearbox with syncromesh on upper three ratios.
Suspension semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear.
Lockheed hydraulic brakes with an advanced feature, for the period, of master cylinder split between front and rear brakes.
Weight 1 ton 12 cwt. 1 qt.
Overall length 16 ft.
Cost new £442.
Currently returns approximately 20 mpg.
FOE 524 first registered in Birmingham on 1st June 1939.
Total of six owners since new.
Complete restoration completed in 1979.
Early 1980s spent in Germany.
In same family ownership since 1984.
Owner: Jeff Gibson
Make/model: MG WA Saloon
Month/year of manufacture: 1939
Colour: Black / Dark Red
Engine size/type: 2.6 Litre 6 cylinder pushrod OHV
Top speed: 90mph
Gearbox type: 4 speed synchro upper 3 ratios
Area: Great Missenden, Bucks
Date purchased: 1984