After days of wind and rain before Sunday, April 22nd which was to be the AWC’s first run of 2012. The day dawned a bit cloudy but with outbursts of sunshine instead of rain. The St Georges Day Run is the Centre’s Drive It Day encouraged by the FBHVC.
Starting from the car park of the Waggon & Horses Public House at Culham, just outside Abingdon 33 cars including some non-MG’s prepared for a run crossing many River Thames bridges between Abingdon and the source of the river near Kemble in Gloucestershire. Not forgetting the stretch called the Isis as it flows through Oxford.
Bacon filled rolls and coffee was available for those who missed breakfast or preferred a snack before the drive crossing bridges in the following order :-
- Abingdon Bridge ~ Built in 1416 improved in 1453 and again in 1927.
- Folly Bridge, Oxford ~ Head of the River Pub on the city side of this bridge.
- Osney Bridge, Oxford ~ Current Bridge opened in 1889.
- Swinford Toll Bridge ~ Built in 1777 still charging a toll, now it’s 5 new pence
- New Bridge ~ So new it was built in about 1250, repaired in 1801.
- Tadpole Bridge ~ Built late 18th Century, alongside a pub called the Trout?
- Radcot Bridge ~ One of the oldest on the Thames, second bridge added in 1787
- St Johns Bridge ~ Built in 1795, rebuilt 1820.
- Halfpenny Bridge ~ Built 1792 to replace a ferry that served Lechlade.
- Hannington Bridge ~ In 1790 it was wooden, rebuilt in Brick in 1841
- Neigh Bridge ~ Built 1327 as a winter crossing when the ford was unusable.
We arrived at the gate of the airfield that was formerly RAF Kemble, now a private airfield called the Cotswold Airport and home to a wonderful collection of aircraft known as the Vintage Flyers. The collection includes some serviceable and in preparation aircraft including Hawker Hunters, Camberra,s, Bristol Britannia, Dakota DC3, Jet Provost to name but a few.
In summary a great day organized by Sarah and Pete Davies.
Text: Phil Grinham. Photos: Malcolm Bailey.